What to do on Akshaya Tritiya is a question which needs a quick answer as this ancient festival is believed to bring in a lot of wealth and good fortune. You would have always heard the refrain from someone elder, “Wait for Akshaya Tritiya and on that day, we shall make the big purchase”. The significance of Akshaya Tritiya is not very well known so let’s look into what it is all about.
Know about What Is Akshaya Tritiya | Significance of Akshaya Tritiya | What to do on Akshaya Tritiya
What Is Akshaya Tritiya? What is the Significance of Akshaya Tritiya?
Akshaya Tritiya falls on the third day of the bright half of the Vaishakh month which is usually between April and May. It is also known as Akha Teej and falls on Tuesday, 7th of May this year (2019). It is a highly auspicious and sacred day for the Hindu and Jain communities as a number of important events happened on this day:
- Sun and the Moon are at maximum brightness on this day. It is considered even more auspicious if this day happens to be with Rohini Nakshatra. As per Vedic astrology, the three lunar days, Yugadi, Akshaya Tritiya and Vijay Dashami do not need any Muhurta for starting new ventures as these three days are free from all malefic effects.
- As the mythology goes, Akshaya Tritiya is considered as the birthday of Lord Parasurama who is the sixth incarnation of Lord Vishnu.
Akshaya meaning ‘the never diminishing’ (Sanskrit) denotes good luck. Hence, new ventures and big-ticket purchases should be started on this day.
- It is also believed that Lord Ganesha and Ved Vyas started writing the Mahabharata on this day.
- Akshaya Tritiya is believed to be the day when Treta Yuga commenced.
- This day marks the end of the one-year fast by Tirthankara Rishabha and is considered holy by followers of Jainism.
- The Mahabharata says that Pandavas discovered weapons under the earth which made them victorious against the Kauravas on this very day.
- Kubera was bestowed the post of “treasurer of wealth” by praying to Lord Shiva at Shivapuram on Akshaya Tritiya.
What to Do on Akshaya Tritiya
You can do these things on Akshaya Tritiya to make the most out of it:
Bringing Gold Jewellery Home
Akshaya Tritiya is considered one of the most auspicious festivals by Hindus since it is the day when Goddess Laxmi received the post of Goddess of wealth which signifies ever increasing good fortune. Akshaya Tritiya is considered to be the day one may be granted ‘endless fortune’ which means the auspicious presence of Lakshmi, the goddess of wealth.
One who buys wealth on this day is believed to see an increase in his wealth. Therefore, buying and worshipping gold pleases him. Also, an important benefit of buying gold on this festival is that it falls in the month of Shravana (July-August). This period is also considered auspicious for engagements and marriages. Marriage ceremonies performed on Akshaya Tritiya are said to bring stability and harmony.
Akshay Tritiya Charity and Akshay Tritiya Puja:
Akshay Tritiya puja rituals include the Madhusudhana ritual, with Tulasi archana and also the chanting of Sri Vishnu Sahasranaamam. Also, one can do charity during this day which will bring multiple returns. Following are the charities (Daanam) one can undertake.
Jala (water) Daanam, Shayana (beds to the needy) Daanam, Vasthra (clothes) Daanam, Kunkum daanam, Chandana (Sandalwood) Daanam, Thamboolam (betel nut) Daanam, Naarikela (coconuts) Daanam, Padaraksha (footwear) Daanam, Chatra (umbrella) Daanam
You can figure out and repent for the bad karma that you may have done by partaking in charity.
Taking a bath in the holy river rids one of all inauspiciousness and bad karma. You can take bath before sunrise in one of the Holy Rivers; Ganges, Yamuna etc.
Happy Akshaya Tritiya Messages/ Images
Here are some Happy Akshaya Tritiya Messages and images which you can save and share with your loved ones on WhatsApp.
To conclude, Akshaya Tritiya is one of the most auspicious days of the year. If you are looking for auspicious wedding dates to get married this year, click here.